Friday, April 16, 2010

Taiwan Day 3: Cute girl turns BIZZARE!

It was about 3 in the afternoon. I was walking towards the bus-stop when my pleasant drizzle turned into heavy rain. And me being me, of course, I had no umbrella. So I took shelter at the entrance of a shop. Because I was wasting time, anxiety levels were escalating.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a pretty girl popped up and stopped right next to me. Then, she smiled and invited me to share her umbrella!! My first reaction: HUH!? But then, it was raining, I didn't want to wait and of course, it is nice to see that humanity is not all dead. (So what if she was pretty?)

Anyway, I got in and we started walking. After ten steps, I asked her if I can hold the umbrella. (C'mon, even if I dont carry my own umbrella, the least I can do is hold the one that I am sharing). She handed it over and we resumed walking. So there I was, in a foreign land, walking with a pretty girl, sharing her umbrella - the happiness, awkwardness, butterflies, and the likes. Had it not been for the language barrier, I would have tried talking to her. But anyway.

Roughly after five minutes, we reached a junction. My bus-stop was straight on the other side of the road and she apparently wanted to take a right. So, I said 'thank you' and requested her to take back her umbrella. HOWEVER, she smiled, shook her head, and REFUSED TO TAKE IT BACK! When I insisted, she gave me a 'please' look and WALKED AWAY! YES, she just walked away WITHOUT HER UMBRELLA! And I stood there like a DUMBFUCK!

Now the deal is that I have had a thoroughbred Bollywood upbringing which sends my mind on overdrive on such occassions. What if the umbrella had chori ke saat crore ke keemti heere (I have no clue why 'saat', but anyway that's not the point), or even worse, had some banned substances hidden in it? And with regards to humanity, I know it's not dead, but har baat limit hoti hai ok, pls! It's not like I was dying in the rain. But seriously, jokes apart, I REALLY didn't see the point in TAKING AWAY her umbrella!

I don't even remember how long I stood there trying to make sense of everything. She had almost disappeared in the crowd when I started running after her. The next minute, I found her sitting alone at the MacDonald's outlet. Luckily, she was sitting facing the street, and that's how I was able to spot her. I waved, requesting her to come out and take the fucking umbrella back. She came out. She refused. I insisted. She refused. I INSISTED. Because we couldn't even 'talk', it was a rather silent argument with loads of those 'please' looks. Finally, she accepted defeat (HA!) and took the umbrella back. Then, instead of going back in, she walked AWAY! Few steps ahead, she came across a gaming machine and abruptly stopped and started playing! Then, she disappeared in the crowd!!

Like dude, Bizzare dreams are ok, but bizzare realities!???

Ending note: Two hours later, I was on the road, again. It started pouring, AGAIN, and this time, there was no shop/shelter close by and I was getting wet faster than expected. So, I ran towards a random building, where I had to stay put in shit cold for almost another 30 minutes. And in those 30 minutes, at least 30 times, I must have thought of that girl who insisted I take her umbrella.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You cynical newspaperwallahs :P

Unknown said...

Heheheh! I hope you remember the pretty girl who shared her umbrella with you in Hong Kong :P

sonali said...

you should've sung a song in the rains, silly!

Unknown said...

Ha ha....lesson learnt there I'm sure...

Hotwani said...

@RT: And how many times have you offered to GIVE AWAY your umbrella to random people, huh?

@Bawi: Of course, the pretty NORMAL girl who willingly took it back :P

@Son:It was a silent movie re :p

@Nasrin: You bet!

mumbai2atlanta said...

DO NOT PRESENT UMBRELLAS TO OTHERS
In Taiwan dialect, "伞" (san, umbrella) shares the same pronunciation with "散" (san, parting). If one sends an umbrella to another, he seems to send parting as well. Moreover, in Taiwan dialect, "雨" (yu, rain) shares the same pronunciation with "给" (gei, to give). Since "雨伞" (yusan, umbrella) sounds the same with "给散" (geisan, to give parting), the one who receives the umbrella is prone to misunderstanding.

Foreigners may find it awkward when your friend says 'You don't need to buy anything when you come here.', or 'Keep it to yourself. I have a lot of these'. He may not mean it. What you need to do is to insist on him receiving it since Chinese people do not tend to receive the gift immediately.

.....so from what i understand....u are now destined to mee ther again :) ...


ANOTHER way to look at it is
"Don’t give an umbrella because doing so implies homonymously that the family of the gift receiver is going to be dispersed."


so either way its great you didn't take it


hey im not taiwanese ( nor ever been to taiwan...so blame google if im wrong

Hotwani said...

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!
PS: Dude, I am so glad you have all the time on this planet to google such stuff!!!

VegTraveler said...

dude did you meet her again :D ...No I dont have all the time in the world to google stuff...currently im on 28 days of work travel ( without weekend holidays...thats 28 days without a break) so I tend to pass some time doing such stuff :)

Hotwani said...

No Havent met her again. dont know if thats a good thing or not :P
And btw, you have happily taken a job that NO amercan would have taken. So dont cry now.