Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Look, it's TAIWAN! (Day1)

How will life be when you shift base to a different country for almost a month, just like that? I didn't know, so I decided to find out. For almost a month, from now, 'Memoirs from Mumbai' will be 'Memoirs from Taiwan', documeting the quirks of an Indian trying to find his way around in the small country island of Taiwan.

A few first impressions of the country.
1) Quite clean. I am staying in Taichung, which is the third largest city in Taiwan, and yes, the cleanliness standards are admirable.
2) Most people don't follow English. So for someone who doesn't know Chinese, it's dumb charades all the way!!
3) Most road signs and notice boards are in Chinese. You may have an English map, but there's just no point.
4) But yes, people are friendly, empathise with the fact that you cannot follow their language, and try their best to be good at dumb charades. :)
5) Food is AWESOME! Yes, it's awesome! There are enough options for vegetarians. And if you love experimenting with meat, way to go! (Have had octopus and oysters till now. Not bad). Plus, the way the food is cooked is VERY healthy! It might seem bland, but in its entirety, it's very good.

Each day, there's a new experience, and I will try putting it all down on this blog. BTW, the locals here have given me a Chinese name. Ha Chin. Ha because it is kinda similar to the first syllable of my surname (HOtwani) and Chin means progress (that's the meaning of my name: Vikas).
:)

13 comments:

Mohnish said...

cooooolio

Unknown said...

Good going, Ha Chin!

Samira Pillai said...

Hey! Good to see u're moving abt :-D

look forward to more posts on taiwan.

Hotwani said...

thanks guys :)

Radhika said...

Ha Chin! Octopus?! Oysters?! Really? I had heard the food is bland without our Indian spices. All the sauces get to you beyond a point. Is it really that good? I wasn't a big fan in KL... I know its not the same in Taiwan. Ended up gorging on biryani and kebabs at a Pakistani roadside joint.

Hotwani said...

wel... it's definitely not as spicy, a lot of stuff is boiled. But it definitely has taste. And it's actually the natural taste of that particular veggie/meat. In indian food, we only figure the taste of the haldi, masala, etc, but this cuisine relies more on the natural element.

Kareena Gianani said...

Dear Mr. Natural Element Ha Chin,

I shall wait for that ONE blog post. Just that one. :P

Kent said...

:D good to see you in Taiwan!

Priyanko Sarkar said...

whoa! awesome .. HK to Taiwan and where else next? Glad to see u moving around!

Hotwani said...

@Kent: Thanks :)

@Sarkar: Arre bola to tha tereko, about the Taiwan plan. HK was just a stopover.

mumbai2atlanta said...

I will now think of you each time I sneeze....h-aa-chi-n :D

spicymist said...

I thought that too. Ha- Chin reminds me of a sneeze,. do you go around saying 'bless you' everytime someone calls you?

tumblingwords said...

I wonder what I will be called!! And Amropali?!!!