Monday, March 7, 2011

Message in a bottle


Recently, at the Delhi airport, I noticed Vodafone’s free internet kiosk. No points for guessing what I did. FREE internet dude, c’mon! Before leaving I noticed that the kiosk also gave you the option of sending a free SMS! No points for guessing my next move!

However, due to some problem, the SMS service wasn’t working. Hence, SMSes sent earlier were stuck and hanging around for public display! Imagine going through someone’s messages not even knowing who the person is.

However, as titillating it may sound, it wasn’t. With every message, I could create a mental picture of someone sitting on that very seat and typing to a loved one. Grappling with new technology to say the same old things – I am okay, I love you, I will come soon..!

Lives are so disparate, yet so similar aren’t they?

PS: You can click on the picture to read the messages.

PPS: For those who don’t follow Hindi, here’s what the messages (roughly) say:

 Namaste! At the moment, I am SMSing from the airport’s cyber café. In some time…
 And bro the deal is that I am SMSing via mail from here (at the airport). Now I…
 Hi. I am the Delhi international airport. Really missing you verrrrrryyyyyyyy…

No comments: