Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 13: Never study in Taiwan. NEVER!

A few days back, I was told about the school system of Taiwan that left me AGHAST! Really. Shocked out of my very WITS! These guys have High School from 7 (or maybe 8) in the morning, right upto EIGHT in the evening!!! And it's not just one of those fancy schools with two tiffin breaks that we see in Bombay these days. It's just the REGULAR system across the country. And ALL they do is STUDY!

The class teacher takes lectures till about 5 or 6. THEN, for the next two hours or something, you study on your own (like apna shaam ka study), with your class teacher literally PERCHED on your HEAD to ensure that you are studying! AFTER A DAY FULL OF FUCKING LECTURES!!!!

AARGHHH!!!!

But hey, what about activities, exercise, physical health? For that, they have 'activities session' once a week! Now I am not saying I had the most happening childhood, but I cannot imagine not playing chupa-chupi, pakda-pakdi, nadi-parvat, lock and key, every evening! Plus, getting to watch Shrimaan Shrimati after homework was such a treat!

Moral of the story: MY kids are NOT studying in Taiwan. NO SIR!

9 comments:

Taiwanese Roomate said...

I will be the teacher in India!!!

Hotwani said...

No thanks. We already have some very good profs. Plus, you will make my poor kid study till late. :(

Amropali said...

nadi-parvat
??

Hotwani said...

Hmm. Yea. The hindi version of Sea and Mountain. Like, there are diff 'mountains', and you try and run from one mount to the other, and that one poor fellow in the sea has to catch you.

Ok. Now I am feeling silly. But I hope you got it. :P

VegTraveler said...

Land and water kya?

Hotwani said...

YAAAAA!!!!
In my gujju locality, we called it nadi-parvat!

sonali said...

I'm gujju, and we called it land and water.
what on earth is nadi parvat man?

Anonymous said...

Sorry haa sorry. Hum log borivali ka middle class gujus. We play nadi parvat. Sorry.

Nancy said...

What you said is exactly true...
I am a Taiwanese student,so i experienced it deeply.
From junior high to senior high,we have to study for the entrance exam.
Above all,we have MANY TESTS EVERYDAY.
Actually,in order to prepare for them,most of our time has to be spent on it.