Tuesday, January 12, 2010

So many PEOPLE!


I have a problem. And the problem is a thought. The thought has always been there, and now, is triggered even more often by the spate of media reports on the on-going environmental crises.

The thought: World population is increasing. And it always keeps increasing. But space is finite. So WHERE will this end? If I stretch my imagination, I can actually visualize lots of people, and I mean LOTS of them, so many on the earth that there’s no place to stand. I have had occasional dreams with me staring down at earth and all I can see is FACES looking up! Imagine the entire world turning into a Virar Local! What will the world be like on that day? Just imagine…

• There will be so many people that there will be no place to keep your stuff. So everyone will have to carry their bare minimum on backpacks. This includes infants as well.
• Or there will be multi-storied buildings where people will stand, and traffic cops will regulate human traffic instead of cars. There will be human traffic jams!
• Those who are rich will make homes inside satellites and will never come down to earth. I wonder how it will be for them, days, perhaps even months without stepping on the earth.
• Because there won’t be enough food available, everyone will be forced to go on a diet. Plus those who are fat will have to pay extra taxes because they will use up more space. But then, with everyone on a diet, I doubt if anyone will be obese.
• PDA will be declared official because people will have no other option. :p
• Can you even imagine how difficult will it be to keep a secret? Tell something to one person and the surrounding five more people will eavesdrop even when they don’t want to!
• How about this. Say you are at one end of the city and you want to send out a message to someone at the other end. All you have to do is play the Chinese Whispers game and request the message to be passed along. If you don’t trust people to keep the words intact, you can pass it along in a chit, like a long human-chain SMS.

This and so much more. But honestly, I like the world the way it is. And considering the sucker that I am when it comes to privacy, I wonder how I will survive. But then, till we reach that stage, I won’t be around. One of the reason why being born in the 1980s rock! By the time things get unbearable, you will be on your way out!

No comments: