Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Are you patriotic enough?


Eros theatre, 15 minutes before the show, they played Bharatbala’s new Vande Mataram video. And suddenly, there was silence, like pin-drop wala silence! And even better, the entire theatre stood up!

Me (to my friend): Why are people standing? We don’t need to stand for Vande Mataram, do we?
Friend (busy watching the video): Arre no re.
Me: But then why is everyone standing?
Friend: Who cares?

Other than me and my friend, and an elderly couple sitting a few rows ahead, every single person was standing. Some actually stood up after half the song was over! And I couldn’t see in the dark, but I swear I could feel everyone giving us the deshdrohi looks.

The song went on for a good five minutes while the losers kept wondering when it will get over. The song ended, everybody sat, and then, the biggest popat. The VERY NEXT SECOND, the screen read: Please stand up for the national anthem!! :P :P

And then, we stood.

Like really, sarvajanik popats are something else only!

5 comments:

Palash said...

ya it doesn't make sense to stand for the national anthem/song. its just a kind of a formality that we respect our nation.


BTW read you are a journo in the chicken soup book. but how exactly do you earn????????????????
curious!!!!!!!!!

Hotwani said...

Palash,
If you ask me, I think it makes PERFECT sense to stand for your national anthem, just like it makes sense to stand when an elder walks into the room (or greets you). The issue here is about Vande Mataram that's actually not our national anthem. Anyway.

Your second question (definitely more intriguing of the two) needs a little more elaboration from your end. what do you mean?????????

Cheers,
Vikas

Palash said...

i again have two points to make

first clarification of my previous question. i associate journalists with news reporters and editors.which is the news channel/ newspaper you work for?

and why the hell aren't you accepting my fb friend request!!!!???

Sonali said...

So Vikas, I know you're a journalist and all, but how do you earn, man? Really?

Ha ha ha ha ha! Can't stop laughing!

M2A aka anon aka Dopehead said...

I shall repeat sonalis statement :
"Ha ha ha ha ha! Can't stop laughing!"